The process of informing search engines about new pages in your website or about new websites in your care can be quite a time consuming task. The submissions process is just way too much trouble for its own good that even the search engines have realized that it is a path not worth pursuing and completely stopped using this method a long time ago.
There have been many innovations presented since then as a way of simplifying the submission process and eliminate most of the drudgery that has been associated with this task. With the development Google Sitemaps, the process has indeed been a big help to many webmasters and business owners. In fact, many people contend that Google Sitemaps is probably the most important development on the internet since the RSS, blogs and ping.
RSS, blog and ping had actually been used by webmasters as tools in informing search engines about new additions to their websites even though this function was not the primary purpose of the aforementioned innovations. Of course, Google Sitemaps is so much faster and easier to use compared to the said systems and this is the reason why it has risen in popularity and is now acknowledged as the most effective way of updating a website to search engines. In fact, this new innovation of using sitemaps for the search engine submission process has become a very vital part of operating a website and a webmaster can ignore it at his own risk.
There may still be some skeptics who may still not believe that a sitemap method of submitting new web pages or new content to a website is very effective. One reason why using the sitemap method like Google Sitemaps is that the technology was developed from the ground up with solely one primary goal, which is to alert and direct the Google search engine spiders to the web pages that you have specified. All the other methods are considered as indirect and submissions to search engines are not their primary purpose either.
Clearly, using Google sitemaps provides a win-win situation for webmasters and online business owners.
First, Google sitemaps limits the huge waste of the resources needed to crawl web site that have not changed. The technology allows webmasters to inform Google which pages have changed or if there are new content added to a website and then direct Google’s spiders directly to those pertinent pages.
Google Sitemaps also radically speeds up the process of discovery and addition of pages to Google’s web site index. This can only be achieved if you use the technology and nothing else.
Google Sitemaps offers a level of usability that is different from conventional sitemaps because it offers a directory of all the web pages in the web site that the webmaster or online business owner wants the search engine to visit.
Without the assistance of sitemaps like Google’s, it may become hard for a web page to be found by the search engine crawlers. There is even a chance that the page may not be found at all.
The internet provides users with a fast and convenient way to look up information and to make purchases. However, there is an unbelievable amount of competition out there and you have to be able to reach the consumers. Almost everyone uses a search engine to type in keywords or phrases to find what they are looking for. However, You may have found that there are pages and pages of hits.
The majority of online users won’t venture beyond the first or second page of hits in order to find what they are looking for. Instead they will do a new search with modified keywords. Therefore it is essential that you continually work to get your website recognized among the top listings on the major search engines.
The only way you can do so is through the process of search engine optimization, commonly referred to as SEO. This can be a very tricky area for many business owners and almost completely overwhelming if you don’t take your time to follow the entire process. All of the elements of it have to be in place for SEO efforts to be successful.
You have to carefully balance providing what the robots for the search engines want while maintaining information that your consumers will find interesting as well as understandable. There is a great deal of research that has to be done in order for SEO to be effective. You need to find out what the most common keywords and phrases are for your product or service so that you can add them to the materials on your website.
It is important to understand that your SEO efforts will never be completed. They will always be a work in progress due to the constant shifts in the consumer market. By adding fresh materials to your web pages the robots for them will continue to categorize your information.
The various search engines make money off the advertising that is on their pages so they have to be able to offer the newest and most relevant information for consumers. Otherwise they risk losing the consumers to other search engine sites. Therefore they are careful not to index duplicate information. This way you won’t type in a keyword and get 20 hits all with the same or too similar of information to meet your needs.
Almost half of the new online businesses fail because they aren’t engaging in such practices and therefore they can’t reach their target market. Before you launch your website or start advertising your products you need to have effective SEO strategies in place. There are several to choose from so look for those that will work well for your type of business as well as the budget you have available.
If you aren’t comfortable with doing SEO for your business you need to find someone reliable to do it for you. There are plenty of freelancers and professional businesses out there that specialize in SEO or we here at GetPopularFast could have one of our trained SEO and Marketing Specialists help devise a effective SEO Campaign for you.
We also offer full website audits and SEO Reports to deeply analyze your website. SEO is hard work and a long term development process; lastly, don’t fool yourself into thinking you can have a successful online business without making SEO a TOP priority for your website.
Good Luck — Bonne Chance!
Ever felt intimidated at the convoluted, jargon-ridden information about Internet marketing for small businesses available on the Net? Ever been horrified by the huge fees the experts charge, putting search engine optimization beyond your own means? Ever thought: What exactly is search engine optimization anyway, and can I do it myself?
The answer is: Yes, you can! The basics of search engine optimization in applied web marketing are simple. It’s all to do with the keyword content of your text copy, and can be summarized in seven points.
1. Register a good domain name which reflects what your site is about. Even if you are an established business, don’t register www.FredJones.com if you make widgets. Rather, you want to register something like www.BestWidgets.com because that would inspire confidence in people looking for quality widgets who would not necessarily have heard of Fred Jones the widget-maker.
2. Name your page URLs based on reasons similar to the above for your web promotion, except now you can be more specific. Search engines like to know what your page is about. Name a page after a product (BigYellowWidgets.htm) or a service or action (Buy-Widgets-by-Post.htm) on one of the sales pages.
3. The text in the title tag is crucial in letting search engines know what each page is about. Put your important keywords in your title tags, using both the singular and plural versions (people will search for both) and make these tags different and specific for each page. For example, “Widgets and After Sales Widget Services”. Whatever you do, don’t call the home page “Index”, but treat it almost as a mini-description.
4. The other tags (at the top of the html page) between the two “HEAD” tags are not as important as the title tag, but the description tag is still used by some search engines in displaying what you would like web users to see when they scroll down a page of search results. Some search engines don’t use the description tag at all; others, like Google, sometimes use part of it together with part of the main body text surrounding prominent keywords on your page. So you may as well treat the description tag seriously; make it brief (about 25 to 30 words) and as comprehensive as possible in the short space allowed. Make sure you have your popular keywords included within your description tag. The ALT tag is used for a very short description of an image or graphic file, and is what is displayed if you allow your mouse pointer to hover above a graphic. These days it is not considered important for search engines. The COMMENT tag is never displayed on the body page, and is used by coders and designers as an instruction or reminder to themselves about what that section of html coding should be doing; in the past, some webmasters in their quest for website promotion and search engine ranking used to stuff keywords in the comments tags, but now it is generally acknowledged that the main search engines pay little or no attention to these.
5. Keyword density. Each search engine has its own preference as to how many times a keyword phrase appears on the page in order to signify the relevance of that keyword phrase (in other words, in order to help the search engine understand what the page is about). Around 5 to 8 per cent is a rough guide as to the optimal level. Don’t overdo it, otherwise it will be seen as spam or keyword-stuffing. Also use your keywords in the headings tags H1 and H2. There is an H3 tag as well, but it is doubtful whether search engines bother with that, as it is perceived as less prominent on the page, therefore less relevant to what the page is about.
6. Don’t forget good linking in your website marketing. Search engines will judge the importance of your web pages to some extent on the number and quality of incoming links from other sites. Ask other webmasters with sites on similar themes to yours for a link, in exchange for a link back. These sites should not be in competition with yours, but should be similarly themed. You may occasionally be asked by other webmasters if they can link to your site. If this is so then have a look at their site; make sure that their site is relevant, that it has at least some Page Rank, and that it just “feels” good, and has no nasty surprises like redirects or unexpected popups. You don’t want to be associated with a “bad neighborhood”!
7. Make sure that important keywords are included in the anchor text within inbound links from other sites. This is crucial to search engines when they try to figure out the relevance and importance of your pages. The inbound link from the other site should take the form of something like this (I’m using normal brackets instead of angle brackets so as not to use compromising html): (A HREF=”http://www.Yoursite.com”) your important keywords included here(/A). You should definitely avoid something like (A HREF=”http://www.Yoursite.com”)click here(/A), which tells search engines nothing except that your site is about “click here”. Be careful!
If you miss the mark, search engine optimization can cost you both a lot of time and money, without getting you the results. However if you do it right, SEO WILL improve your internet business.
What IS the goal of search engine optimization?
The goal of search engine optimization is to bring new customers to your web site. SEO is about being found by the right people. It’s about matching a prospect with the right offer. It is as simple as that.
What is NOT the goal of search engine optimization?
SEO is NOT about getting listed for every possible keyword. This is the biggest mistake that is made by webmasters and web designers. Most people try to get as many high search engine rankings as possible, AND for as many keywords as possible. That is not only a lot of work, it is also a complete waste of time.
It is not important that your web site is listed for a lot of keywords. It is important that your web site is listed for the right keywords, and that your web site then turns visitors into buyers. Without achieving this you will not be successful.
How can YOU improve your search engine optimization results?
1. Create convincing web pages
That really is a very important step. If you do not have web pages that appeal to your target group, then do not bother with trying to get visitors.
Your web pages must be designed so that your visitors become buyers.
2. You must also first create trust, and convince your visitors by making your web pages easy to use.
3. Find the right keywords
You must find the keywords that work best for you, and for your website. Build a keyword lists that is related to your business. There are many Free Keyword Generators that can help you with finding the right keywords for you.
Yahoo offer one here:
4. You can then use the keywords that you find in a pay per click (PPC) campaign on say Google’s Adwords, or with Yahoo’s Overture. What this will do is give you a quick way of testing your new keywords. It is also important that you then track these keywords with a conversion tracking tool, which will tell you which keywords lead to sales, and which keywords are just a waste of both time and money.
5. Optimize your web pages for these keywords
Once you know the keywords that lead to conversions, (sales) you should then set about optimizing your web pages for these keywords. While PPC allows you to quickly test keywords, and you can see the results within only a few days, optimizing your web pages allows you to get targeted visitors, WITHOUT you having to pay for them.
Search engine optimization can lead to great results if you concentrate on the right goals. Search engine optimization is about improving your business. It is not about getting as much traffic as possible. Focus on your target group, and on keywords that work best for you. You will save a lot of work while at the same time increasing your profits.
For search engine optimization 2012 had some fairly significant changes happen, mostly due to the two Google updates, Panda and Penguin. All that is in the past though, the question now is what will be happening in 2013. Imforza prepared this infographic because they believe that this is what will take place in 2013 and how it could effect you.
Long tail SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is far less known than traditional SEO and it is extremely effective for building your organic traffic. The research HitTail agrees with proves that long tail keywords tend to be a little easier to capture and rank in search engines. They also bring in more traffic, higher visitor conversions, and more customers for your business.
What Is SEO? Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the act of altering or optimizing your website and it’s content in order that search engines deem it to be relevant and useful to certain topics. You are able to select the most appropriate topics through the use of certain keywords in your website.
When surfers conduct searches on search engines they are presented with a list of results for that search term. These results are called Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) and generally speaking, the websites that appear at the top of the SERPs will receive plenty of traffic to their websites from searchers.
In order to determine your position on the SERPs, search engines use their own algorithms. While nobody knows for absolute certain what these algorithms are it is widely accepted that your website needs to be easy to navigate, popular and relevant.
Web Development: What Is SEO?
Easy navigation means that your site should have text links to each of its pages. If you use a flash menu system then you should include a sitemap in order that search engines and visitors can quickly and easily find their way around the whole of your website.
In order to make your website appear popular you need to get links to your site. While search engines would rather these links were generated because visitors to your site genuinely found your content useful, it is commonplace to undertake a reciprocal link campaign or generate inbound links. Reciprocal links mean a website links to you in exchange for a link to their own site.
Relevance is judged by your content. By including the keywords you place in the meta tags of your site throughout the body of your content and in certain places within your site you are indicating to the search engines that your website contains relevant information.
By combining these factors you can effectively convince search engines that you deserve to be near the top of their SERPs. However, this can take time and a lot of effort if you don’t fully understand what you are doing.